Who knew people had so much to say about New York? When we started this blog, we worried we might eventually run out of quotes, but we needn't have. It turns out that everyone --authors, celebrities, politicians, movie and television characters-- has something to say about the greatest city in the world. Thanks for accompanying us for these past four years and please, stick around.
Tomorrow we'll be back with a new quote but on our birthday, as it has become tradition, we look back and bring you our ten favorite quotes from the past year. What's your favorite?
10. "To be big somewhere else is nothing. To be big in New York is big."
Y.A. Tittle, quoted in Tales from the New York Giants Sideline
9. "New York was that kind of place: it made you feel like you could do anything or be anyone."
Tess Daly, It's Up to You, New York
8. "New Yorkers can't settle down anywhere else in the world because they just naturally have a quicker pace. You get out of the bed faster in New York."
Al Sharpton, quoted in New York magazine
7. "London is satisfied, Paris is resigned, but New York is always hopeful. Always it believes that something particularly good is about to come off, and it must hurry to meet it."
Dorothy Parker, quoted in The New York Times
6. "New York at night, from its bridges, is a miracle. When I first came to the city, it took all my fantasies and set them on fire, turned them into flickering constellations of light."
Melissa Febos, Whip Smart
5. "Oh, Gio! You must see why I love New York. Because the whole world's in New York."
Oriana Fallaci, Penelope at War
4. "It is impossible to enter New York without feeling that something wonderful is about to happen. Whether you arrive by plane, ship, train, car or bus, bridge or tunnel, you feel the immediate excitement of starshine."
Duke Ellington, Music is My Mistress
3. "New York is where you go to seize the day, to leave your mark, to live within the nerve of your generation."
Cynthia Ozick, The Best American Essays 2000
Paul Morand, quoted in New York: Civic Exploitation
1. "I wake up every morning and say to myself, 'Well, I'm still in New York. Thank you, God.'"
Ed Koch, Vanity Fair